Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Africa



I am an Africa-hopeful.

God has put something on my heart that pulls me there. I want to serve. I want to learn. I want to have an impact.

Last night, I had my first meeting at Capital Church about the trip this summer to Swaziland. I must say it was a mixed boat. I am so excited about the opportunity of going.. However, I want to make this huge impact and have this great effect on the people there.. I don't want to be disappointed. As those of you who know me well have heard, it is very likely that one day I will start a non-profit. (Watch for the 501-C3 post... it will come I'm sure). I have this vision of Africa becoming self-sustainable. The countries have a major dependence on the outside help they receive from major organizations like The Chirldren's Hope Chest, and World Vision. While I feel these organizations are fantastic I don't know that spending two weeks building something is the best way to make a lasting difference.

Don't get me wrong! I think even the smallest things make a tremendous impact and can absolutely change the lives of these people, I just hope that someday we will reach a point where African countries have strong governments that allow the people to hold jobs and live in a place with a viable economy. I have this hope that high-quality education will one-day be available for everyone - and when I say education, I mean reading, writing, math etc., but also these people need to be educated on health, safety, trade, etc. Skills like these could absolutely change the direction of these countries. If someone knows how to sew and has access to proper materials and funding, they can create a small business!

The other MAJOR issue as we all know is HIV. While there are people who say that it is something that is just not talked about because the whole place is in denial, there are people who say men take advantage of women - believing that having sex with a virgin will cure their disease. (Don't even get me started on the need to empower women - Gretchen!) This is ALL a lack of education. These people need to be educated about safe sex, and abstinence, and the dangers of HIV. They also need to be tested! Many of them don't even get tested..

While I could ramble on about this for pages and pages I need to stop and remind myself of something VERY important. God loves these people and has a plan. He has a plan for me and my life of service and He has a plan for the beautiful people of Swaziland. I want to be a major part of the journey and His grace. I just need to let go of my anger and frustration and trust Him. . . . He must be up to something..

2 comments:

  1. Micky,
    I support all that you do and the things that you want to achieve, especially with Africa. I have discussed with my parents, for my graduation gift in a couple years, that we could go to Africa and help out and do a lot of the things that you want to do. My problem is that with football I do not have the time that I want to put forth into a project like this so would need to wait until finished with ball.

    I will keep this in my prayers and hope you get to fulfill these great dreams and aspirations that you have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. McKenz, I am so excited that you are now an official blogger! Welcome to this exciting world! Love your guts.

    ReplyDelete