Friday, March 27, 2009

Africa!!!



Hey guys! I have to post an Africa shout-out/call-out. I need YOUR help! This contains bits and pieces of my sponsorship letter. I don't however, have all of your addresses so here is all the info you would need:

As most of you know, I am addicted to service and have felt called to Africa for quite some time now.  I have been doing extensive community service since my senior trip after hight school: building with Habitat for Humanity for a week in New Mexico. Well... I have upped- the-antie! I have recently made the exciting decision to go on a mission trip with members of my church and through an organization called Children's HopeChest (CHC) to do mission work and community service in Swaziland, Africa!!!

Children's HopeChest is a global leader and innovator in orphan care ministry. Since 1944, CHC has helped bring children out of the isolation of orphanhood and into the joy and warmth of family programs. CHC reaches thousands of orphans through its orphanage sponsorship program and other follow-up outreaches.  My church, Capital Church, sponsors a Care Point in Swaziland, Africa called Mkhombokati. (Crazy word.. I know!) This Care Point provides, in some cases, the only food available to about 100 children, most of whom are orphans. This summer I want to join 14 other members of Capital and go to Mkhombokati to service the children and the community. Swaziland is a tin, land-locked country bordered by South Africa and Mozambique (see map!). It also has the auspicious title of having the highest AIDS infection per capita worldwide. The average Swazi will live to be 30 years old, the result of which is an entire generation of orphans. I feel this is where God is leading me to serve. I have an intense desire to help children and what better way to do so than to serve them on this mission!

My team will be based out of the Mkhombokati Care Point. I will be gone from June 25- July 7. Throughout the trip I will be busy ministering through spending time teaching and executing projects with the children as well as supporting the Discipleship Team, Field Missionaries and the few Swazi adults who take on the difficult task of providing basic needs for the children. The total cost of the trip is $3,500, which includes all expenses: airfare, accommodations, food and training. 

I cannot accomplish this task alone, so please join me with your prayers and any financial support you can manage. Every little bit helps so whatever you can do is greatly appreciated!!!!! Even just a prayer will go a long way :)

The deadline for me to be fully funded is May 5. If you would like to make any size donation (even $.25!) and pay with a check, please make all checks payable to Capital Church. In order for you to receive a tax deduction foryour donation, do not write my name on the check and simply include a slip of paper that says "This is for McKenzie Newton's Swaziland Trip". Please mail all donations to Capital Church - 1010 East 700 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84102. If you have any questions PLEASE let me know!

Thank you so much for your consideration, support and prayers!! 
 

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome McKenzie! You are definitely an inspiration. I will definitely send a donation soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mall!!! I can bring you a donation slip to the SAB meeting tomorrow if you'd like! Let me know. You rock!

    ReplyDelete